We like music... so there's that.

we write this shit yall

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Top 100 .... Twendsay? And how I hate when TV and Music collide

Eek, sorry kids. I've been so busy that I didn't have enough time for the Top 100 post yesterday, but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging. Turns out I totally should have.

Read on after the jump to see what happens when Glee fans are the only ones that buy songs on iTunes and discover how grouchy I am when made to listen to complete shit for an hour straight.

Glee, Skrillex and Christina Perri after the jump, and its shorter now. I deleted my thoughts for you. You're welcome.



1. Glee Takes Over iTunes

I really, really, I mean REALLY, wanted to ignore this whole Glee taking over the world of music thing, but the top 100 is SO influenced by the most recent episode that I thought it remiss to not acknowledge. Don't get me wrong, I love Glee, but that doesn't mean I'm looking for the cast to fill my musical needs.

It's one thing if an amazing album like Fleetwood Mac's Rumours drags itself back from the 70's and drinks from the fountain of Glee club youth (It's at #8 on iTunes), but guys.... at #11, MATTHEW FRIGGING MORRISON and his self titled debut. Thats right people, Mr. Shu has an album out. Although what possessed anyone to give the worst character on the show a record deal is beyond me.

I can't even review this. Its musical sludge. Mr. Morrison can't decide if he wants to be a boy band member, a country singer, or like, I dont know, Prince Charming in the Rodgers and Hammerstein version of Cinderella? Seriously I listened to the minute and a half preview of every song just so I could make sure I wasn't biased and now I'm pretty sure my brain is melting out of my ears. Thankfully for Morrison, Glee's followers are passionate if nothing else.

if you like this: you're on the wrong blog. But check out Jamie Cullum's 2003 album Twentysomething, he's perfected the rat pack sinatra croon Morrison was attempting, and soars in every way that Mr. Shu fails.

Matthew Morrison - Summer Rain by musicman319
Frontin' - Jamie Cullum by kronika


2. Skrillex, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, #64 on iTunes top 100 albums




A friend had told me to check out this dude awhile ago, but I am one of the most easily distracted people on the planet earth and totally forgot about it until now. Knowing her well, I was very surprised with what came out of my speakers, electro-house-shiz-whaaaaaat. But I trust her so I gave it a whirl.

Skrillex aka Sonny Moore has apparently dabbled in two other bands/groups that I've never heard of and truthfully I just don't feel like googling. Till now the dubstep 'scene' was like a unicorn to me, a cute fairytale that must be told in British accents. But its been popping up more and more through mainstream artists like Ms. Spears, and holy moly! Here it is, right on our very own top 100.

I have tried time and time again to like house/electronica music but alas, it's just not really my thing. The mashup of voices, sound effects and scratchy record noises are too much for my brain. That said, this album/ep seems pretty solid. People that are fans of the genre are digging on it, apparently whatever he's doing is new and interesting, there is definitely a nice variation on the tracks which if you've listened to any electronica in the past, know is not always how it goes.

For me I'm just appreciating being able to follow some sort of melodic story in his music without feeling like robots are beeping a secret code at me. Plus I can't hate anything with a soundbite from the the autistic kid on NBC's parenthood. And if any of you know anything about dubstep feel free to let me know whats REALLY going on here because that's all i got: doorsat7@gmail.com.

if you dig it: listen to Crystal Castles, I guess?


Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites


3. Christina Perri, Lovestrong, #14 on iTunes top 100


I'll give you this, girls got good hair.
After the Skrillex review, I needed something with way less bells and whistles to bring me back to earth. This broad seems popular and chick singers are usually a little more mellow, so I thought, why the hell not.

Um hey, world, I'm going to need you to start listening to better shit. Theres a reason they make Ryan Seacrest do the top 100 countdown, its fucking toooorture.

Apparently Christina here got famous after Dancing With the Stars did a number to her song "Jar of Hearts." Its not that the song, or any of her music in general is eardrum offensive. Its just.... the same. You know, as Colbie Call-whatever, and Michele Branch and the other girl that sounded like Michele Branch, Vanessa something? And you know like a million other briefly popular chicks who had pretty voices and pretty songs with nothing new and no substance.

Listen kids, theres is a reason ladies like Adele and Sara Bareilles have stuck around. They are different, they are sincere and they are artists. Even if you don't like Sara, you had to love the spunk when it turned out that the "I'm not gonna write you a love song.." lyrics were about her asshole record company and not some stupid boy. Adele is everything Amy Winehouse should have been and I cannot speak badly about her and thats that.

I'm sorry but there's nothing about lyrics such as "you're going to catch a cold from the ice inside your soul" that makes me want to keep listening. Just saying, I wrote that shit in my middle school diary. If you like this kind of thing you'll enjoy the album, but I beg of you, reach further than Dancing With the Stars for your music, please. There are SO MANY BETTER things out there.

if you like this shit: Try out Ingrid Michaelson, she also has a hilarious twitter and is actually good, gasp!

Christina Perri - Jar of Hearts by Xesxpress

The Way I Am - Ingrid Michaelson by thenanibud



sigh. till next time kiddos, in the meantime I'll be the one with the bandaids on her ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment